Tools for Undergraduate Research in Environmental Science and Field Biology:
(Note: As of Fall, 2013, only Units II and III are active. Other Units will be added over the coming months.)

I. Scientific Inquiry: How to identify a research topic, question and hypothesis

II. Fundamentals of Field Sampling: How to design a field study

III. Graphing and Statistics: How to interpret your data using MS Excel

IV. Communicating Your Results: Tips for writing effective papers and making clear presentations

maps of region where we're living

August 20, 2013, from Chaukori: Water

We're still drinking only bottled water here. In several days we'll switch to the water produced by the school's purification system, but we're told it's wise to wait while our bodies adjust to the local microflora.

So, each day we take a 20 minute walk to town for our bottled water for our daily drinking needs. The first day we bought six litres for the three of us, but that lasted less than 24 hrs. Next we'll try eight litres.

Not quite enough drinking water for a day for three of us while teaching and walking around in this warm mountain climate

Part of me misses the abundance of pure clean water, but part of me welcomes the connection to something so basic as walking for water, knowing how much we consume, knowing what our basic needs are.

And as we make our way to the store and pass the houses and huts of the local villagers whose women climb the hillsides each day gathering firewood to cook their meals over open campfires, we're reminded of how small our problems really are after all, we can simply walk for our water.

Some local women taking a break amazing that they can look so relaxed when they work so hard.

This site created and maintained by
Dr. Rhine Singleton
Associate Professor of Biology & Environmental Science
Franklin Pierce University, Rindge, NH 03461
You can contact me at: singler at franklinpierce dot edu